In the normal course of a Disney Parks attraction’s lifespan, there are periods of time when it is necessary to close for a major refurbishment. You may recall that this was the case last year with the Matterhorn Bobsleds, which now looks better than ever with its fresh snowfall. Up next at Disneyland park, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will close January 7 for refurbishment, reopening in fall 2013.
Updates being made to the attraction will include:
- New ride vehicles (but don’t worry – they’ll still look like the trains that you know and love!)
- Track replacement (but the attraction will still follow its current course)
- Repainting portions of the mountain itself (Walt Disney Imagineering has once again carefully studied Bryce Canyon for inspiration)
We’ll have more updates on these and other aspects of the refurbishment throughout the year, but if you’d like to experience the “wildest ride in the wilderness” one more time before it begins, head on over to Disneyland park by January 6 – its last day of operation until fall 2013.
Check out these posts for more updates from Disneyland park:
- In-Park Social Media Program Expands to Disneyland Park with Launch of Disneyland Today
- Make Your Own S’mores Bake at Home with this Disneyland Park Recipe
- Park Icon Artist Sketch Collection to Debut New Walt Disney Inspired Pieces at Disneyland Park
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to Close January 7 for Refurbishment at Disneyland Park by Erin Glover: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog
Posted: 2012-12-12 16:00:50